In previous articles, we discussed the common use of chlorine to ensure well water is clean of any disinfectants and safe for domestic consumption. Some people do not feel comfortable with chlorine and choose alternative forms of disinfectant for their private water wells. One such disinfectant is hydrogen peroxide. In this article, we will discuss the basics of using hydrogen peroxide as a disinfectant for private water wells.

What is Hydrogen Peroxide?

Most people are familiar with hydrogen peroxide as the clear liquid they use in home remedies to kill bacteria. Most people use the solution to clean wounds. Many people are familiar with the bubbling sensation as the solution gets to work to kill the bacteria. Scientifically speaking, the solution has the same compound like water, except with an additional oxygen atom. The chemical compound is H2O2 and has been used to propel rockets into outer space as well as an antiseptic in many medicine kits.

Common Forms of Disinfecting Wells

The most common form of disinfecting wells is through adding chlorine, otherwise known as shocking the well system. Shock chlorination helps disinfect the water in the well, the casing, the water tanks, and the whole well system.

The Problem of Shock Chlorination

The problem with shock chlorination is that it makes the well system unusable for about two weeks until the chlorine can be safely filtered out. There is also concern about toxic levels of chlorine that you can introduce into the system if you do not complete shock properly.

Why Hydrogen Peroxide?

Hydrogen peroxide, although not in as wide use as chlorine, has an advantage due to its chemical makeup.  Since it shares the same makeup as water, by adding the extra oxygen atom, oxidation can occur. This oxidation process separates oxygen from the water thus making it easier to kill the bacteria in the well water.

How Much Do I Use?

The amount of hydrogen peroxide to use depends on how bad of an infestation is in the well. Inject the solution in milligrams per liter (mg/L). The more severe the problem is, the more milligrams per liter needs to be added.

Does It Kill All the Microorganisms?

Although due to the oxidation, the hydrogen peroxide does a great job separating the bacteria from the water, which in itself will not kill the bacteria. Use a UV sterilizer in conjunction with the solution to kill the bacteria.

How to Ensure the Hydrogen Peroxide is Gone From the Well?

After adding the hydrogen peroxide into the well water system, it is best to wait at least 24 hours before consuming the water again.  One way to know for sure if it is no longer present in the system is to turn on the faucet and run the water over a piece of wood or raw meat. If the water bubbles or fizzes when it touches the wood or meat, then there is still some solution present.

The Problem Is Still Around

If you tried to disinfect your well with hydrogen peroxide and the problem is still not solved, then this is indicative of a bigger problem.  Contact the professionals as American Pump Services and we will send a team to inspect and diagnose the problem and offer a solution.